Thursday 17 March 2011

A Taste of Old Ireland

Top of the Morning to you! I hope you are all enjoying St. Patrick's Day. Being of Irish descent I like to serve traditional Irish dishes on the 17th. So today I am making my family a batch of Potato Pancakes or Boxty as they are called back in Ireland. Boxty, which means "poor house Bread", is a dish mostly associated with the north midlands, north Connacht and southern Ulster, in particular the counties of Mayo, Sligo, Fermanuagh, Longford, Leitrim and Cavan and Donegal (where the Boxty is also called poundy or poundies. So I want to share with you the recipe I will be using. 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup mashed potatoes, 1 cup finely grated raw potato ( I minced mine in the food processor), 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of buttermilk and 1 tbsp of butter. Mix baking powder and salt into a bowl, blend in mashed cooked potatoes, add the raw potatoes (strain the raw potato mixture to get as much of the moisture out as possible), add the eggs (well beaten) and just enough milk to make a thick batter. In a skillet, melt butter, drop batter by tablespoon into pan. Press down to flatten and cook until golden brown on each side. And enjoy! Of course I will also be serving up a pot of steaming hot Corn Beef and Cabbage as well being it is my husbands favorite dish on St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment